Seven cores from potential Australian storage reservoirs (plus one Berea sample for calibration purposes) were tested, using four different laboratory techniques; providing four sets of data – core flooding, CT scanning, geomechanics and geophysics.
The cores analysed are as follows:
- The Berea sandstone
- The Otway (CRC-1 well, Waarre-C formation) sandstone plug
- The Pinjarra-1 well (Lesueur- Wonnerup member) sandstone
- The Harvey-1 well (Lesueur plug 55H) sandstone
- The Wandoan Precipice sandstone
- The Golden Beach sandstone
- The Hutton-1 sandstone
- The Yalgorup sandstone
The initial four cores were analysed by a CSIRO CT scanner and, from then on, the second four cores were analysed by a Curtin University Micro-CT scanner. The result was a new approach to CO2 flood CT interpretation, with rather more complexities due to the higher resolution of the microCT machine.